Re: [GENERAL] PL problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Herouth Maoz
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PL problem
Date
List pgsql-general
At 10:36 +0300 on 14/06/1999, Adriaan Joubert wrote:

> I guess this may have to do with the way the query plan is stored, so
> that this may just be impossible to fix. Could somebody who knows how PL
> works please confirm whether I'm asking something impossible here?

Yep, it is impossible. DELETE FROM takes a table argument, not a string
argument. It may be hard for people to make the distinction, just remember
that:

   DELETE FROM my_table WHERE...

is different from

   DELETE FROM 'my_table' WHERE...

and the second form is illegal.

In C it is easier to do, because the query itself is a string, thus you can
build it from other strings. But in PL/pgsql, the query is not a string. It
is pre-compiled.

Perhaps there is a solution in PL/TCL. In general, in order to do the task
you want to be done, you need to use a language that allows building the
query as a string. Perhaps this should be added as a feature in PL/PgSQL,
as it is added to embedded-sql languages.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma